Friday, March 25, 2011

It's amazing how fast life can slap you upside the head eh?  I've been back for what?  A day and a half?  =)

So...here's the situation...

Maribel and I had a meeting with the owner of the house and her lawyer this morning.  She and her husband have been home visiting from Spain for the past few weeks.  On the upside, supposedly the roof is fixed.  The next big rain will tell.  On the downside, they want $5000 US more for us to continue living here. 

For those of you who don't know, we have what's called an "anticredico" with the house's owner.  We pay a portion of the value of the house, sign a contract for a specific amount of time and then when the contract is finished we get our money back.  So, except for some basic upkeep, we'll end up living here for free.  Which is great for us.  It's good for the owner as well, but that's harder to explain in simple terms.  Chalk it up to life in Bolivia and leave it at that.  I can explain more at another time if you want.  At any rate, it's now time to sign a new contract.

As I said, the owners want to add another $5000 more to the amount we've already paid.  Which wouldn't be that big of a deal (like I said, we eventually get the money back)...except that we don't have it.  As many of you know, I was just home in Canada raising money for our building project, and we did see some money come in.  Unfortunately, when money is designated for a specific project, Revenue Canada says you can't use that for something else.  Like paying paying $5000 to the owners of the house for the anticredico.  Which would probably be tough to explain to Revenue Canada anyhow.

I guess what it comes down to is that we need to raise $5000 as quickly as possible.  I know many of you have given sacrificially to us already and I want you to know that we greatly appreciate that.  Maybe others of you have been thinking about coming on board financially, but haven't made a decision yet.  If I could ask that you prayerfully consider giving towards this need.  I'm not really great at this part of running a ministry (as I think we probably all know), but I do believe with all my heart that these guys are worthy recipients of our help.  And so...that's why I'm asking.

This situation does reinforce the fact that there is a need for us to increase our level of monthly giving (what we receive monthly from donors).  At one time I had built up a buffer of funds for emergencies and situations such as this.  But over the past year, with the growing costs of food and classes, we've used up those funds.

If you'd like to help us, through either a special gift or by coming on board as a monthly donor, just drop me a note at ken.switzer@iteams.org or contact my mission directly at 1-800-465-7601.  They'd be happy to help you. 

This has been a bit of a stressful day as I'm sure you understand.  =)  Thanks for praying and considering this.  I'll keep you updated on how things are going...
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been browsing your blog and plan to bookmark it. Looks interesting.

Mary H - former bookkeeper and payroll at the IT offcie.

Ken said...

Thanks Mary! How're things going these days? It's been awhile! =)

Unknown said...

Hey Ken, classy switch with the coffee. May the Lord carry you guys through all the anticredico jazz.